In today’s fast-paced world, it’s important to teach students about kindness and empathy. One effective way to do this is through picture books. These books not only entertain but also educate young minds about the importance of being kind to others. Here are 14 picture books that are perfect for teaching students about kindness.
- “The Invisible Boy” by Trudy Ludwig
This heartwarming story follows Brian, an invisible boy who learns the power of kindness and inclusion.
- “Each Kindness” by Jacqueline Woodson
A thought-provoking story centered around a young girl named Chloe, who learns the power of small acts of kindness.
- “Kindness Is Cooler, Mrs. Ruler” by Margery Cuyler
Mrs. Ruler teaches her students the importance of kindness through various classroom activities and lessons.
- “Those Shoes” by Maribeth Boelts
This story follows Jeremy, a boy who wants a pair of trendy shoes but learns that kindness is more important than material possessions.
- “Hey, Little Ant” by Phillip and Hannah Hoose
A powerful story that encourages empathy and kindness towards all creatures, no matter how small.
- “The Smallest Girl in the Smallest Grade” by Justin Roberts
Sally McCabe may be small, but she stands up for others and teaches her classmates the value of kindness.
- “The Kindness Quilt” by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace
This book teaches children about the importance of acts of kindness and how they can create a ripple effect.
- “Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun” by Maria Dismondy
Lucy faces bullies, but through an act of kindness, she helps them discover the importance of treating others with respect.
- “Ordinary Mary’s Extraordinary Deed” by Emily Pearson
Mary, an ordinary girl, starts a chain reaction of kindness that spreads far and wide.
- “Beautiful Oops!” by Barney Saltzberg
This book teaches children that mistakes can lead to beautiful things and encourages kindness towards oneself and others.
- “How Full is Your Bucket?” by Tom Rath and Mary Reckmeyer
An engaging book that teaches children that acts of kindness fill their own “bucket” as well as others.
- “Each Kindness” by Nancy Tafuri
A heartwarming story about a group of forest animals who learn the importance of working together and being kind.
- “Same, Same But Different” by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw
This book explores the similarities and differences between two pen pals from different parts of the world, teaching empathy and kindness towards all.
- “A Sick Day for Amos McGee” by Philip C. Stead and Erin E. Stead
Amos McGee, a zookeeper, receives kindness from the animals he cares for when he’s feeling unwell.
These 14 picture books are fantastic resources for teaching students about kindness. Through engaging stories and relatable characters, children can learn important lessons about empathy, inclusion, and the power of small acts of kindness. By incorporating these books into the classroom, educators can help shape kinder and more compassionate individuals for a better future.