OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service offered by Microsoft, which allows users to store and access their files from any device with an internet connection. However, at times, users may encounter an error message that reads “The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid”. In this article, we will discuss how to fix this common issue and ensure smooth synchronization between your Windows device and OneDrive.
Step 1: Check OneDrive Synchronization Settings
The first step to resolving the error is ensuring that your OneDrive sync settings are correctly configured. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Right-click on the OneDrive icon from the system tray.
2. Click ‘Settings’.
3. Go to the ‘Account’ tab and check if all folders are synced with your device.
4. If not, click on ‘Choose folders’, select the required folder(s), and click ‘OK’.
Step 2: Clear OneDrive Cache
Clearing the cache can sometimes help fix sync-related issues such as invalid tags in reparse point buffers. To clear your OneDrive cache:
1. Close all open files and folders associated with your OneDrive account.
2. Press ‘Windows Key + R’ to open the Run dialog box.
3. Type ‘%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset’ and hit ‘Enter’.
4. Allow a few minutes for the reset process to complete and then restart your computer.
Step 3: Run CHKDSK Utility
Running the Check Disk (CHKDSK) utility on Windows can help detect and repair file system errors that might be causing the issue. Follow these steps to run CHKDSK:
1. Press ‘Windows Key + X’ and select ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’ or ‘Windows PowerShell (Admin)’.
2. In the command prompt, type ‘chkdsk /f /r’ and press ‘Enter’.
3. Press ‘Y’ when prompted to confirm that you want to check the disk during the next system restart.
4. Restart your computer and allow CHKDSK to scan your hard drive for errors.
Step 4: Update Windows and OneDrive
Make sure that both your Windows operating system and OneDrive application are up-to-date, as outdated versions can cause syncing issues.
1. To update Windows, go to ‘Settings’ > ‘Update & Security’ > ‘Windows Update’, then click on ‘Check for updates’.
2. To update OneDrive, right-click on the OneDrive icon in the system tray, select ‘Help & Settings’, and then click on ‘Check for updates’.
Following these steps should help you resolve the “The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid” error in OneDrive. If the issue persists, consider reaching out to Microsoft Support for further assistance. Remember that keeping your software up-to-date and performing regular system checks can help minimize such issues in the future.