Introduction: As the leaves change color and the air turns crisp, it’s the perfect time to cozy up with a good book. Fall is a wonderful season filled with pumpkin patches, apple picking, and beautiful scenery. What better way to celebrate this time of year than with picture books that capture the essence of autumn? From tales about harvest festivals to stories about the changing seasons, here are 20 picture books that will delight both children and adults alike.
- “Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn” by Kenard Pak
This beautifully illustrated book follows a young girl as she takes a walk through the forest and greets the arrival of autumn.
- “Leaf Man” by Lois Ehlert
Join Leaf Man on his journey as he dances through the autumn air, blown by the wind.
- “We’re Going on a Leaf Hunt” by Steve Metzger
This rhyming book takes its readers on an adventurous leaf hunt, capturing the magic of fall along the way.
- “Pumpkin Soup” by Helen Cooper
Follow the three friends, Cat, Squirrel, and Duck, as they work together to make their special pumpkin soup.
- “Fletcher and the Falling Leaves” by Julia Rawlinson
Fletcher, a curious fox, tries to save his favorite tree from losing its leaves with creative solutions.
- “Apple Farmer Annie” by Monica Wellington
Annie, an apple farmer, takes us on a journey through the seasons as she harvests her delicious apples.
- “Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf” by Lois Ehlert
This book provides a unique look at the life cycle of a tree, from sapling to full-grown tree, celebrating the beauty of nature in the process.
- “The Little Yellow Leaf” by Carin Berger
Follow a brave little leaf as it holds onto its branch just a little bit longer, afraid of falling to the ground.
- “In the Middle of Fall” by Kevin Henkes
This book explores the sights, sounds, and feelings of fall as animals, and children alike, prepare for the colder months ahead.
- “Autumn is Here” by Heidi Pross Gray
Join a group of children as they enjoy all the activities that come with the arrival of fall, from jumping in leaf piles to picking apples.
- “Too Many Pumpkins” by Linda White
Rebecca Estelle hates pumpkins, but when her yard is filled with them, she comes up with a clever solution.
- “Counting on Fall” by Lizann Flatt
Learn about numbers and fall features in this beautifully illustrated counting book.
- “Apples and Pumpkins” by Anne Rockwell
This charming book takes young readers on a trip to the farm, where they can experience the wonders of apple picking and pumpkin selecting.
- “The Runaway Pumpkin” by Kevin Lewis
Follow along as a pumpkin races down a hill, causing hilarious chaos along the way.
- “The Little Scarecrow Boy” by Margaret Wise Brown
This heartwarming story follows a little scarecrow boy as he ventures out of the cornfield for the first time.
- “The Apple Pie Tree” by Zoe Hall
Take a closer look at the life cycle of an apple tree and join a family as they make apple pie from their own tree.
- “Autumnblings” by Douglas Florian
Read delightful poetry about autumn, covering everything from falling leaves to Halloween.
- “The Scarecrow’s Hat” by Ken Brown
Join Chicken as he tries to obtain the Scarecrow’s Hat in this amusing adventure.
- “Fancy Nancy: Fall Foliage” by Jane O’Connor
Nancy takes readers on a stylish journey through fall, showcasing vibrant foliage and fashionable outfits.
- “Fall Walk” by Virginia Brimhall Snow
Go on a walk through the woods in this interactive book that engages all the senses, making it a perfect autumn activity.
Conclusion: These 20 picture books capture the spirit of fall, offering engaging stories, beautiful illustrations, and a touch of magic. Whether you cuddle up by the fireplace or read them outside surrounded by nature’s colors, these books are sure to make your fall season even more enchanting. Embrace the magic of autumn with these delightful picture books and create lasting memories with your loved ones. Happy reading!